First Unitarian Society of Newton

First Unitarian Society of Newton

Newton, MA

The First Unitarian Society in Newton was organized in 1848 and built its first house of worship a decade later. At the turn of the century, under the leadership of a young Reverend, the Society needed a new building to house is burgeoning membership. In 1906, Cram, Goodhue & Ferguson designed the new Gothic style building crowned by a graceful square bell tower. Mid-century growth precipitated the addition of a children’s chapel, new parish kitchen, and classrooms. The building is now listed in the National Historic Register.

As the 100th anniversary of the building approached, with a congregation of about 350 adults and over 200 children, the Society took the next step to maintain its historical integrity and support the building into the future.

LDa Architects has assisted the Church with capital campaign feasibility studies and provided design and construction administration services for the restoration of the entire slate roof, including distinctive copper elements. We also carried out interior improvements including new lighting and sound system, and renovation of interior finishes.


Architect: LDa Architecture & Interiors

Photographer: Peter Vanderwarker Photography


2009 Historic Newton, Newton Preservation Award

Expand / Collapse Project Details

Let's talk about your upcoming project.